The Beatles Never Existed

A Journey of Multiples

The Impossibles (TV series)

This section is for posting anything interesting and informative noted in Beatles cartoons.

The Impossibles (TV series)

Postby carmen janne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:27 am

This week, I remembered an old cartoon I watched as a kid.
The plot was about a rock band, who wore secret identities to fight crime. The reference to The Beatles was explicit, but what I remember most is the coil-man.
The cartoon band consisted of three members and the "Coily" left-handed and is responsible for communicating with the "higher" from your bass or guitar.
Coincidences? I think not!

[*]The Impossibles was a series of animated cartoons produced by Hanna-Barbera in 1966 and aired on American television by CBS. The series of shorts (6 minutes) appeared as part of Frankenstein, Jr. and The Impossibles.

The Impossibles were a trio of rock and roll musicians. When contacted by "Big D" (voiced by Paul Frees) about criminal activities in Empire City, they became superheroes. Like the Monkees, the group’s appearance (in their musician form) was based on 1960s pop star stereotypes, which included somewhat long hair, brightly colored (and matching) outfits, high-heeled boots, screaming female fans and, unlike the Monkees, no percussion or bass instruments. Nothing is known about their personal lives, although Fluid-Man once mentioned having an Aunt Tilly. They seemed to have secret identities though even a little child would have no trouble connecting the singing Impossibles to the hero Impossibles on appearance alone. They also seemed to change to their "secret identities" in front of the crowds they were playing to when given a mission.

Posing as a trio of young rock 'n roll musicians, the Impossibles were in reality super-powered crime fighters dedicated to battling evil supervillains of all shapes and sizes. When performing for their adoring fans (usually star-struck, screaming teeny boppers) the lads would play their mod, futuristic-looking guitars atop an equally futuristic bandstand (emblazoned with their "Impossibles" logo on the side, ala Ringo's drumkit) that could convert into a car (the "Impossi-Mobile"), or a jet (the "Impossi-Jet"), a speedboat, or even a submarine. Their standard catch cry when called into action was "Rally ho!"

Their humorous dialogue was typically peppered with puns. As with many Hanna-Barbera characters, The Impossibles were topical and inspired by their times, in this case resembling the rock 'n roll groups of the mid-Sixties.

The Heroes

Each member of the Impossibles had a specific, and very visual superpower:

* Coil-Man (voiced by Hal Smith) - Short, barrel-chested and sporting a mod haircut, blond "Coily" could transform his arms and legs into impossibly stretchable or coiled springs, allowing him to bounce to avoid attacks, deliver long-range punches, or drill through walls. Coil-Man usually drove the Impossi-jet, and his guitar contained a small TV receiver through which "Big D" (voiced by Paul Frees, who also served as the voice over Narrator in almost every episode) could contact the group and deliver orders (Big D used Multi Man's guitar in "The Fiendish Dr Futuro," "Beamatron," and "The Diabolical Dauber"). Because of his presumably metal coils, Coily could be held in place by a super magnet, but could also conduct heat or electricity with his coils. He also hid in a closet disguised as a wire coat hanger, further implying that he was at least partially made of metal. Coil-Man's costume was purple and blue and included a purple mask and a cowl crested by a triangular fin.

--Fluid-Man (voiced by Paul Frees) - Dark-haired Fluid-Man, aka "Fluey", could morph parts of his body into a liquid form, a talent perfect for sneaking up on an enemy though a water faucet. He could also vaporize himself into a cloud or storm, but he could also be soaked up and trapped by a sponge ("Televisatron" and "Return of the Spinner"), or frozen solid inside a block of ice ("Not So Nice Mr. Ice"). Fluid-Man's costume resembled a lime green wetsuit complete with diver's mask and swimfins. Fluey's speaking style indicated that he was the beatnik of the group.

Multi-Man (voiced by Don Messick) - Multi could create infinite duplicates of himself which were often destroyed, leaving only the original behind. His duplicates rarely, if ever, functioned independently, and were often used as camouflage, a bluff, for extra strength or transportation (he could fly by continuously creating replicas above himself). When duplicating himself, he could push tons of rocks out of the way or crack the block of solid concrete he and the others were entombed. The character had shaggy, orange hair that covered his eyes (his eyes, in fact, are never seen) and he usually held a shield for what seems decorative reasons. Multi showed the ability to repel bullets with his bare hand ("Fero, the Fiendish Fiddler"); (its possible the artist may have accidentally left the shield undrawn). Multi-Man's angular, red and black costume resembled an stylized 'M', and included a short, triangular red cape. Favorite saying: "You got them all except the original." Multi bore a resemblance to the identical members of the singing group "The Way Outs" from "The Flintstones."

Each episode usually began with the villain pulling off his improbable caper while the Impossibles are busy performing at a concert across town, where they are called into action by their chief, "Big D." After a series of funny super powered forays, the Impossibles would best the baddie, and usually return to finish their gig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impossibles_(TV_series)
carmen janne
BNE Member
BNE Member

Re: The Impossibles (TV series)

Postby carmen janne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 am

The Impossibles - 01 - The Bubbler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q7NVuh-aj4
carmen janne
BNE Member
BNE Member

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:43 am

Hi Carmen. It's good to see you here, thanks for joining our new beginnings!

When I first started reading your post, it immediately reminded me of "The Wayouts" from the Flintstones, and then sure enough, you mentioned it at the end.

Here's what I came up with by searching The Impossibles TV Series:
Image Image

And for The Wayouts:
Image Image
Make America Moral Again (But first, make it America again.)
Silversong
Banned On The Run
Banned On The Run

Postby carmen janne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:55 am

I see the Coil-man

and I remember Paul of "Till There Was You".
The way to shake his head as if he had a coil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUjFpdxFWHU

And the Multi-Man is so obvious, right? Image

Fluid-man Image
carmen janne
BNE Member
BNE Member

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 am

carmen janne wrote:The Impossibles - 01 - The Bubbler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q7NVuh-aj4

We were posting simultaneously, so I didn't see this until after I came back to the page. Looks like another futuristic cartoon alright, as the Beatles were a very futuristic group.

Multi Man = Multiples?

Recently on a night-time talk radio show, there was an interview with the author of a book titled "Some Fun Tonight" which is about the Beatles tours and how they invented what we know as modern touring today. It's a love letter, of course (like all Beatles books). But what he said may be insightful as to why the Beatles operation was set forth in the first place:

"Everything the Beatles did was many years ahead of its time. Not just touring but the music, the vocals, the playing, arrangements, lyrics, the messages (hidden or out in the open); fashion (and not just music but clothes, pop culture, everything). (The Beatles) were a monumental change for the world in so many more ways than just popular music (which would have been great enough by itself)."
Silversong
Banned On The Run
Banned On The Run

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 am

carmen janne wrote: and I remember Paul of "Till There Was You".
The way to shake his head as if he had a coil.

Yes, I remember that performance style he/ they had in the earlier years. I called him Bobble-Head Paul. He also sings the wrong words @:48 of this video, and again @1:40 (but it could be intentional).

And ever since someone pointed this out to me in another picture I've yet to post -- when I get the Fake Ear thread up and running -- there seems to be some kind of 'device' worn in their ear at times, but more than just "in" the ear. It looks like part of the ear structure.

Unless this is 'shadowing' from the lighting.

Like this in an early Beatles interview with Ken Dodd, except whatever it is, it's up higher on his ear.
Silversong
Banned On The Run
Banned On The Run

Postby Randyguitar » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 am

Hi Carmen and welcome!

I found your post most revealing. It brought back some very interesting memories. 'The Way Outs' in the Flintstones is very telling as it could only mean, way out of our solar system, a not-so-far fetch theory about the Beatles. And when I read about Fluid-Man, I immediately thought of Paul's 1975 album 'Venus and Mars.' There's a song on there called 'Magneto and Titanium Man.' The song has a very similar character, only he wears a green metal suit. The lyric: "In my green metal suit, I'm preparing to shoot up the city." There are many other messages on this album, but it's been a while since I've listened to it. But no doubt, I'm sure I'll find a lot more characters you have mentioned in your blog.

I think we're going to find a lot more references to the Beatles in other shows back then, as we research this further. I have believed for some time now that the television show 'The Monkeys,' was more than a parody on the Beatles. The message with this show is clear; the Beatles were a manufactured group, or more appropriately groups, as I now believe.
Randyguitar

Return to Beatles Cartoons